To do test the SMTP server function, You have to follow steps to identify that whether SMTP configured and working or not.
The following steps you need to follow to check SMTP server functionality. We are using the command prompt telnet to test the server.
1. open command prompt and type :
Note: 25 is the port used by SMTP and
After you hit enter you will get some output like
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:10:27 -0600
It means you got response from the SMTP server and it's the clue that SMTP is setup on the server.
2. For testing response say helo to it.
3. Now we need to enter the From address of the mail.
mail from: firstname.lastname@example.org
250 2.1.0 email@example.com….Sender OK
4. It's time to enter the recepient email address.
Type : rcpt to: someID@domain.com
250 2.1.5 someID@domain.com
5. Now we are left with the data of the email. i.e. subject and body.
Type : data
354 Start mail input; end with
subject: this is a test mail for SMTP server functionality
This is SMTP test mail body
I am testing the SMTP server only for testing purposes.
7. Hit Enter, then . and then Enter.
250 2.6.0 <
8. Type: quit
If you did everything as explained in the above steps, you will get a mail soon.
Kinldy check in the Queue and Drop folder.